Mac Miller has been touring like a beast, but on Saturday, April 7, the 20-year-old rapper adds a new milestone: Headliner at Paid Dues, the annual hip hop festival also featuring Wu-Tang Clan, Dipset and Odd Future among many others.
“It feels great, man,” Miller told Fuse about his headlining role. “I’m just excited to be a part of this festival at all no matter where I am. But the fact that they put me there is awesome. I’m just doing everything I can to make sure I give them the best show they can imagine.”
But don’t forget: Mac is, first and foremost, a hip hop fan. So we were curious who he’s excited to see at the festival. And before you start a rap message board war, these are in alphabetical order. Dude’s not playing favorites.
1. Dipset: Cam is the homie. At one point in my life, Dipset was the biggest thing in the world. Cam and I are definitely going to do something [together]. It’s not the next thing I have coming, but it’s something we’re working on for a later date.
2. Kendrick Lamar: He’s just one of my favorite rappers right now. He’s so talented and a legend in the making. I’m just excited as a fan to hear all my favorite Kendrick songs performed live. I went to his show at SOBsand it was dope. Section 80 was definitely one of my favorite albums of the year. I listen to that album a ridiculous amount. I think it’s a classic and will be an album people listen to for a long, long time. I’m excited to see what he’ll do next.
more after the jump
3. Odd Future: I’ve never seen them perform live and I know that’s about to be crazy. I’m cool with them all. I just beat Taco’s ass in NBA2K. You can put that out. I beat him by 11 and he was talking all this s**t and he got beat by Most Dope. Those dudes are just funny as hell and they just make dope music together. They’re not scared or worried about how they look, they’re just doing whatever the f**k they want to do and you have to respect that.
When you’re young in this game, a lot of people are very critical of you and analyze everything you’re doing and sometimes don’t take you seriously because you’re younger than everyone. It’s like, “F**k whatever anyone else feels about the situation. I’m just going to be myself. I’m not worried about being a young dude. I’m just doing what I feel like doing.”
4. Three 6 Mafia: Those are the homies. They just have a great show and they all get super crunk. I love trippy drug music. That’s what so much of three 6 is. Their music is super hard, but it’s also very trippy and that’s a very good mixture to me.
5. Wu-Tang Clan: How can you not be excited for them? I love them all, but growing up, I was a Method Man and ODB fan. Method Man just has that swagger; he’s just a funny dude and “Method Man” is such a dope song to me. Ol Dirty Bastard, Rest in Peace. Everything about him is incredible. He was such a character and it comes out so much through his music. Also, RZA is creative and artistic and someone who’s such an architect.